SAMUEL Edson (E-32), son of Thomas Edson (E-ll) and Elizabeth Copson, baptized in Fillongley, Warwickshire, England, Sept. 5, 1613, married in Warwickshire in 1638, Susanna Orcutt (whose parents are unknown), born in 1618. They settled in the colony of Salem, Mass. Bay, and later in what then was the Duxbury Plantation, now West Bridgewater, Mass.
As has been pointed out, Samuel Edson came of a family of excellent ability and standing, and of good substance. He received an education appropriate to his status, including, through work on his father's farm, skill in agriculture.
Fillongley, his home, was in Warwickshire. The Earl of Warwick was interested in aiding the New England Company, which was organized to promote colonization in Massachusetts Bay. Accordingly, many young people of the rural districts of Warwickshire became interested in emigrating, and some of these did settle at Salem in 1628, and a larger body in 1629, and a charter for the Colony of Massachusetts Bay was granted to them in March, 1629.
Very enthusiastic reports were received back as to this new land, and larger groups joined them from year to year. During this period, Samuel Edson was in his teens and early twenties. In 1638, a settler from the colony of Massachusetts Bay arrived in Fillongley and reported glowingly on the opportunities for settlers there.
Samuel Edson, then 25 years old, saw in such a move an opportunity for his immediate marriage to Susanna Orcutt, whose family had long been in Warwickshire. Accordingly, they were married tha tyear, and in late May or early June sailed, arriving at Salem about the middle of July, where they were heartily welcomed by their friends and acquaintances from Warwickshire who had settled there. On the 25th of July, the application of Samuel Edson for a grant of a site for a dwelling, and for a parcel of land for cultivation was acted on, as recorded in the Town Book, page 49: "Samuel Edson is intertayned to be an inhabitand within this towne, and halfe an acre is graunted him 5 acres in Cart Cove & 5 acres more for plantinge ground." The location of his land near Cat Cove leads to the supposition that it was his ininitially to engage in catching and curing fish for exportation, as this area was, especially in the early days, devoted to the fishing business and to ship building. Samuel Edson's first three children were born in the house he erected on the lot granted him.
The houses that were typical there — and reproductions of which can now be seen in the "pioneer Village" at Salem, were simple one-room log cabins, with the chinks between the logs filled with chips and clay. On one side was a fireplace, where food was cooked. A flooring extended under the roof, about halfway from the further wall of the room, and was reached by a ladder, this providing sleeping accommodations.
Evidently Samuel Edson early decided to devote his time to farming, for in August, 1642, the "Townsmen, " according to their minutes, "Granted to Samuel Edson 25 acres of land joyning to Humphrey Woodbury's farme in Mackerell Cove & 2 acres of medow where he can fynd y^ thereabout, to be laid out by the towne, " In December, 1643, the location of the smaller parcel of land, as recorded in the Town Records of Salem (printed 1868, pp. 113, 122) was described as "The twoe acres of medow that were formerlie granted to Samuell Edson are ordered to be layed out in the pine medow neere Mr. Kenniston's farme."
Samuel Edson built a new home on the larger tract granted him, overlooking Mackerel Cove. This was doubtless a much more attractive location, being rolling country, affording a fine view of the countryside and of the bay, whereas the Cat Cove area is low and flat. In his new home were born three more children to Samuel and Susanna.
As has been pointed out, the Church was a State Church, and attendance at worship was legally required. And from the beginning there was emphasis on the importance of education, the parents, however, within their ability, being required to pay for the schooling.
Some picture of the life in Salem when Samuel Edson and family lived there is shown in the following extracts from the following orders in the "Town Book" ((Town Records of Salem, (published 1868, pp. 131, 144, 132, 135, 92, 107)):
"Ordered that twoe (persons) be appointed every Lords day to walke forth in the time of Gods worshippe, to take notice of such as either lye about the meeting house without attending to the word or ordinances, or that lye at home or in the fields, without giuing good account thereof, and to take the names of such psons & to present them to the Magistrate, whereby they may be accordinglie prceeded against.""
"Ordered that there shall be no burial! wthin the towne but that there shall be word giuen to the keep(er) of the meeting howse to ring the bell whereby notice may be giuen to the towne thereof a little before the buriall. "
"Ordered that a note be published on the next Lecture day (in September, 1644) that such as haue children to be kept at schoole would bring in their names & what they will giue for one whole yeare & Also That if any poore body hath children or a childe to be put to schoole & not able to pay for their schooling That the towne will pay
it by a rate.”
"Ordered & Agreed that all such as God stirres vp their hearts to contribute to the aduancemt of learning ffor the maintayninge of poore skollers at the Colledge at Cambridge, that they bringe in to Mr. Price w^in one month what they please to giue to enter their names w^h Mr. fflage & what they giue or contribute."
"It is pmitted that such as haue fishing lotts about Winter Harbor lotts to (Cat Cove) & the Hand shall haue libertie to fence in their lootts to keepe off the swine & goates from their fish, soe that they leaue it open after harvest is in."
"Ordered that if Any man wthin the towne of Salem shall take any wolfe wth[n the precincts of Salem, And bring him to the meeting house aliue he shall haue for eury such wolfe 15s. And for eurie wolfe that hee killeth hee shall haue 10 s. to be paid vnto him by the towne."
While the rate of exchange of British and American money varies from time to time, a shilling may be thought of as being roughly equivalent to a quarter, and a pound to $5. 00. So a live wolf was worth about $3. 75, and a dead one $2.50. But these were substantial amounts, in view of the purchasing power of the pound or shilling at that time.
Samuel Edson prospered in Salem, as indicated by the fact that from time to time he made additional purchases of land, his property when he left there in 1651 totaling 63 acres. These, together with his house and barn, he sold on September 24, 1655, to William Browne, for thirty-eight pounds sterling.
It is not known what induced him to move from Salem to the Duxbury Plantation — perhaps the more liberal attitudes of the Pilgrims there were more in keeping with his temperament than the austere rules of the Puritans in Salem. At any rate, William Latham, an acknowledged authority on matters relating to the early history of Bridgewater, records that Samuel Edson settled there in 1651. It is not recorded that he was active in the Puritan Church in Salem. Nor is there a record of his exercising there any particular leadership or activity in the community. In view of his prominence in both church and community life in Bridgewater, as the Duxbury Plantation was renamed five years after he went there, it would seem doubtful that his greater maturity in his new location fully accounted for this difference in his human relationships, and it would seem likely that he found himself in a much more congenial atmosphere there, one that offered more encouragement and more recognition for the splendid qualities of character and leadership which he demonstrated in the more than 40 years he lived there — and not unlikely, this difference in attitude may have been a major factor in inducing him to leave Salem.
The Rev. Theodore Edson (#182-5), in collaboration with others, published in 1864 the first Edson Genealogy, "A Genealogical Account of the Edsons, Early Settled in Bridgewater, With Appendices, " and in this he gives an excellent summary and evaluation of Deacon Samuel's life in Bridgewater. He reports:
”Before his death he had acquired a very large estate by his persevering industry and vigilant enterprise, and held many local and other responsible offices, and became the common ancestor of one of the most numerous, popular and respected families in Bridgewater, some of whose descendants can now be found in almost every State of the Union.
"He was appointed by the Court to the Council of War in 1666, and continued in that office to the end of "King Philip's War" in 1676, and in the same year was appointed with Elder William Brett and Deacon John Willis to distribute Bridgewater's shares (L7) of the Irish contributions for the distresses of the Indian wars; and November1672 he with Nicholas Byram and Elder Brett, by order of the Court, received a deed of conveyance from the Chief Pomonoho of theTiticut purchase, "in and for the use of the townsmen of Bridgewater joint purchasers with them;" he, with Ensign John Hayward and Dea. John Willis, agents for the Town, December 1686, received a confirmatory deed of the Indian Chief Wampatuck, in behalf of the purchasers and the town of Bridgewater, of all the lands of that town previously conveyed by Ousamequin (Massasoit) on the 3rd of March, 1649; was foreman of a jury to lay out roads in 1667, and again in 1672; he, with Dea. Willis and Ensign Hayward, was appointed by the town in 1680 to settle the boundary line between Bridgewater and Middleboro and, in the same year they, with Samuel Edson, Jr., Edward Fobes and Josiah Edson, to settle the boundary line between Bridgewater and Taunton. He was one of the first deacons of the town from about 1664 to the end of his life.
"Very little information of the character of this ancient patriarch is now within the reach of examination other than what is supplied by tradition, and a few scraps of history derived from public records and documents,
"That he was no ordinary man cannot be doubted; that he occupied no inconsiderable space in society, with such men as Willis, Brett, Byram, Hayward and others, the fathers of the town, is also true, and that he was an active, laborious and influential man is indisputable. He was said to be of a large, athletic frame, of the ordinary weight, and of a robust constitution which, inured to almost every hardship, seemed to have fitted him for the times, the dangers and the peculiar circumstances in which he lived. His moral character partook of the hardihood of his physical system, and as unyielding to extraneous influence like most of the emigrants from England at that time. With a lively and exciting disposition, he was grave and austere in his manner, yet gravity was not the affectation of dullness but the effect of true dignity and an enlightened and liberal charity. He never solicited a favor that he would not under like circumstances most cheerfully reciprocate. Alive to the force of argument, he could judge its effect upon other minds and, confident of the justice and accuracy of his own judgment, no one more promptly yielded to the convictions of the mind when supported by the reasoning faculty. Hence he was never considered an obstinate man, though of great firmness of purpose. Within his stern and somewhat repulsive exterior was a heart overflowing with human sympathy and benevolence. It has been said of him that he was reserved in the expression of his opinions, and more inclined to listen than debate; that he was remarkable for uncommon uniformity, excessive in nothing and firm in everything; superior to the love of innovation and the rejection of it, when recommended for its truth and utility. When engaged in argument, which was often the case in public town meetings, he seldom failed to convince his audience that he had maturely considered the subject proposed. Such men would be comparatively great in any community when strong necessity and a proper occasion should call them forth, and when assistance is required of the active energies of a welldisciplined mind."To him consequences were less to be heeded than what of right ought to be done. Having no interests to subserve but those connected with the common welfare, and possessing an integrity that admitted of no compromise, his councils were heard with attention and respected with the force and effect of authority. It was not, however, from any love of popularity that he desired influence, nor from any motive of ambition that he claimed success, but from the meritorious pride of conserving the well-being of society. Although better informed than many of his associates, his mental acquirements were very limited; but with him the strength and vigor of his intellect, the quickness of his perceptions, the extent and accuracy of his memory and the struggle of mental enterprise supplied in no inconsiderable degree the deficiencies of education. While he was thus respected for these attributes of his mind and character, it was to his constant practice of the Christian virtues and the influence of his example that his pre-eminence was greatly due. Thus venerable and venerated, he lived until he bid adieu to earth and entered upon the bliss of eternity.
"Susannah, his wife, was one fully worthy of him and the age in which they lived. Her education and natural abilities were said to be fully equal to his, while in union with an expressive modesty of deportment and unaffected piety gave to her person an elevated position and to her character a high rank among the matrons of the town. She exhibited a majestic figure, rather above the medium height, and elegant and majestic mien, with a countenance happily combining graceful dignity with cheerful benignity. Her daughters were of elegant forms, and with all their domestic and retired habits were of easy and pleasing manners. As the affectionate companion of her husband, she was his prudent and discreet counsellor, and as a true mother, she religiously taught her children the way they should go, and when they were old they did not depart from it; and her descendants through succeeding generations point to the example of this, their maternal ancestor, with sentiments of respect, esteem and reverence. Such parents as these do not live to themselves nor die to themselves, and their memories will be cherished while virtue and charity shall be practiced, as a valuable example to mankind."
The Rev. Theodore Edson, who wrote the above, was a very prominent Protestant Episcopal clergyman. He brings to us much of the characteristics of Deacon Samuel Edson and his wife which is not otherwise available. His age would have permitted him to confer with individuals who, in turn, could have known and talked with the grandchildren of Deacon Samuel and obtained from them direct reports of these earliest generations which were still vivid in people's minds. He certainly has done the family a great service in thus preserving an understanding of our immigrant ancestors, individuals of whom all descendants may well be proud, and from whom we can both learn and benefit.
It has been pointed out that when Bridgewater (now West Bridgewater) was first settled, each resident was given six acres of land for his residence, along both sides of the Town River. The lot of Samuel Edson was on the south side of the river, not far from the bridge which now crosses the river near the town park. His last two children were born in the log cabin he erected there. In his early years in Bridgewater (or Duxbury Plantation) Samuel Edson devoted himself energetically to farming. On December 10, 1652 he purchased from William Brett, one of the 54 Original Proprietors, the share he had purchased from Constant Southworth, another of this group.
It is not known just when Samuel Edson was made one of the Proprietors of the Town, but in 1654 he was, as one of the Proprietors, apportioned 20 acres of upland and 2-1/2 acres of meadow in that year's division of the undivided land. This may have been on the basis of his purchase from William Brett.
On May 17, 1656, having a good eye for business, Samuel Edson purchased another share from Joshua Ren, who had moved to Salem. This share included, besides land and a house, two sawmills. It had early been realized that the use of sawed lumber in the construction of houses, barns and other buildings was highly preferable to the use of timber dressed and shaped by axes and adzes. This was true both in the great saving of labor involved and in the greater flexibility as to size and structure, and as to appearance, and as to comfort in winter. With the constantly increasing population, an increasing demand could readily be foreseen for beams, girders, joists, planks, etc. The site of these sawmills was on the Town River, in what is now the Park at West Bridgewater. And so Samuel Edson began shifting his attention from farming to milling.
Another pressing need of this growing community was for a grist mill. Thus far all grain had to be drawn or carried — often on one's back. The construction of a grist mill — or as it was then called, a "corn-Mill" — was both a matter of great public importance and an opportunity for substantial business profit. Accordingly, about 1660, Samuel Edson undertook to build one - the first grist mill in the town — near his sawmills. He sent to England for the iron he would need, and had two millstones made from a good quality of stone quarried not far west of the settlement. This mill was constructed in 1662. It was in recognition of this service to the town, it is believed, that Samuel Edson was given a share as one of the Proprietors of the town. With the two shares he had purchased, he now owned three shares.
Meanwhile, the Duxbury Plantation had been incorporated as the Town of Bridgewater on June 3, 1656. That year ten men, having taken the prescribed oath, acknowledging themselves subject to the government of the Colony of New Plymouth, and promising obedience to its officers, were distinguished by the title of "Freeman." In 1657, nine additional men, including Samuel Edson, were so designated.
Early in 1660, a church having been formed, an invitation was given to the Rev. Mr. Bunker to become their minister, at an annual salary of thirty pounds, or in lieu of that, his "diet" (i. e., board) and twenty pounds, but he did not accept. Samuel Edson was one of the first Deacons of this church, and remained such throughout his life. And from then on, in town records and elsewhere, he was generally listed as "Deacon Samuel Edson." He was also often given the honorary title of "Goodman Edson."
"Edsons In England And America" records that on Dec. 26,1661, it was voted that "there should be a house built for. a minister upon the town's land" where it should "be thought most convenient, " and that it should be freely given to that minister "who should live and die" among them "being called by the towne to work of the ministry, or by a church gathered according to the order of the Gospel, with the consent of the towne. " It was also agreed at the same meeting that the said minister should be given "also a compleat purchase" right or share in the town lands as other townsmen had been privileged to enjoy. " It is interesting here to note the interchangeability of the town and the church as simply the two organizational structures of the same group of persons, the church being simply a specialized agency responsible to the town. Following this action, the town made available a double home site — 12 acres — on the north side of the Town River.
Through the good offices of the Rev. Increase Mather in 1662, the town was informed of the availability as pastor of the Rev. James Keith, age 18, a student of Divinity, who had been educated at Aberdeen, Scotland, and had recently arrived in Boston. Accordingly, a call was extended to him and he accepted. He was duly installed as pastor of the church on Feb 18, 1664 and was given the parsonage and the lots on which it was built, and an annual salary of 40 pounds, half to be paid in Boston in money, and half in the town. In 1667, thirty cords of wood were voted as an increase in his salary. And, as previously voted, he was also given one share as a Proprietor of the town. With this share given to the Rev. James Keith, together with the one given, perhaps at about the same time, to Deacon Samuel Edson, it made 56 shares in all for the several Proprietors of the town.
Deacon Samuel Edson was greatly interested in and devoted to his church. Besides acting as Deacon, he also led the choir. There is in the possession of the Old Bridgewater Historical Society a pitch pipe he used to give the pitch to the choir. It is said he was a bit peppery in leading them and if exasperated at someone being persistently off key would "pitch" the pitch pipe at him. He presented a silver communion service to the church, and this also is preserved.
In 1657 Samuel Edson, then having two proprietary shares in the town lands, was apportioned 100 acres of the undivided lands, and in 1665, then owning three shares, 30 acres, and in 1666, sixty. In all, he had received 212-1/2 acres through apportionment, besides owning the lands he had purchased from William Brett in 1657, and from Joshua Ren in 1656. This land was only gradually cleared of bushes and trees to be made fit for plowing. And the meadow land needed much clearing of vines, and considerable ditching in places, to drain swamps. The value of the property thus increased as these improvements were made.
Until 1667, the colony and town lived in peace, but in that year the war between England and The Netherlands threatened the New England colonists, and the French situation became threatening, as did hostile Indians. Accordingly, the Colony of Plymouth issued orders to all towns to be prepared to answer any call for men for defense. On April 2, 1667, the Council of War, meeting at New Plymouth, appointed the Bridgewater Council of War, consisting of Samuel Edson, Nicholas Byram and John Willis, together with the commissioned military officers of the town. Instructions as to their duties were sent them. This included means of giving the alarm, in case of threatened attack, and for assembling the women and children, so as to permit greater freedom for the men to fight.
Samuel Edson built the home in which he died about 500 feet south of the Town River, nearly opposite the home of the Rev. James Keith, on the north side of the river. The latter house is still standing, and is now a museum, owned by the Old Bridgewater Historical Society.
After several years of increasing discontent on the part of the Indians, it became evident in 1675 that war likely was imminent, and on Feb. 28, 1675, the Colonial Council of War, meeting at Marshfield, appointed William Brett, Samuel Edson and John Willis, Sr., as the Council of War for the Town of Bridgewater. The house of the Rev. James Keith was one of those made into a "garrisonhouse" for defense against possible Indian attack. Many towns were destroyed or greatly damaged. In various skirmishes or forays a number of houses in Bridgewater were burned. All three of Deacon Samuel Edson's sons — Samuel, Josiah and Joseph -- participated in the fighting. King Philip was killed on Aug. 12, 1676, and the fighting soon stopped. His wife and son were captured. At the urging of the Rev. Keith, the boy's life was spared, and he and his mother were sent to the Bahamas.
A collection was taken in Ireland for the relief of those impoverished by the Indian attacks, and was apportioned to the various towns. Bridgewater's share — seven pounds — was given to a committee appointed by the Council, consisting of Elder Brett, Deacon Willis and Samuel Edson, for distribution.
In 1683, the “outermost mile of the original four mile grant was divided into four tracts and distributed among the 56 Proprietors. That is, an area six miles square, three miles on each side from the center of the town, having been previously distributed to individual ownership, a strip one mile wide all around this area, or a total of 28 square miles, or some 17,920 acres, was so distributed. One lot on the north side went to Samuel Edson, Jr., one on the east side to Josiah Edson, one on the west side to Deacon Samuel Edson, and one on the south side to Joseph Edson. Thomas Snell, son of Richard Snell and Anna Edson, sister of Deacon Samuel Edson, had accompanied or joined his uncle in Bridgewater, and he received one of the lots on the west side.
In 1685 ten acres of woodland were distributed to each Proprietor, from land at Titicut purchased from the Indians in 1672. At this time Deacon Samuel Edson had two shares, having transferred one to his son Josiah in 1673.
On Jan. 15, 1688/9 Deacon Samuel Edson conveyed to his five daughters his grist mill and other properties. The site of Deacon Samuel's mills is in the Town Park, at West Bridgewater, a beautiful spot, where the Edson Family Association has erected a bronze tablet in memorial to Deacon Samuel Edson.
Deacon Samuel Edson died July 19, 1692, age 79, and his widow on Feb. 20, 1699, age 80. They are buried in a cemetary on the road from West Bridgewater, by the bridge near the Town Park, towards Taunton, about one-half mile. It is about an eighth of a mile from his homestead. His daughter, Susanna, and her husband, the Rev. James Keith, are buried in the adjoining lot. The original gravestone of Deacon Samuel and his wife became so crumbled as to be indecipherable, so several years ago it was replaced. As indicated in the tribute to Deacon Samuel Edson and his wife Susannah by the Rev. Theodore Edson earlier in this chapter, all their descendants can be humbly proud of their example, and be inspired by it.
55